Friday 2 March 2012

The Power of Music

A good playlist can make all the difference for me when I'm running. The tempo of the song definitely impacts my speed. I have a few specific songs that I keep in my back pocket for when the going gets tough. Somehow music can help me forget the fatigue, the chaffing skin and the hurting muscles & joints and it pushes me through the 'mentally' difficult sections of a long run. It also makes things more fun!

After my debacle with my ipod at the Hypothermic Half a few weeks ago, I asked Uncle Bob to send me his playlist (the one he serenaded me with while we ran). As I expected, it is an enjoyable, eclectic mix of songs. Here it is:


"hits to half-marathon by"
  • charlie winston.....hello alone
  • i dont' want to set the world on fire...joel cathey
  • tip jar...wade johnson and the navigators
  • bust your kneecaps...pomplamoose
  • we are all made of stars...moby
  • it's a great day to be alive...travis tritt
  • some techno song i don't know the title or artist 
  • lazy...press with david byyne
  • i want love....elton john (that one is loud-----haha!)
  • bohemian rhapsody...queen
  • shake it off...jarvis church
  • a little less conversation...elvis
  • change the sheets....kathleen edwards
  • pumped up kicks...foster the people
  • superstition....stevie wonder
  • our day will come---amy winehouse
  • will you still love me---amywinehouse
  • the girl from ipanema---amy winehouse
  • looks....carleton stone
  • lay me down sweet jesus....justin rutledge and the junction forty
  • paradise---coldplay
  • lonely boy---the black keys
  • good morning starshine---serena ryder
  • my heart cries for you---serena ryder
  • worrisome heart----melody gardot
  • little talks...of monsters and men
  • you and i---lady gaga
  • inside out---imelda may
  • a fool in love----ike and tina turner
  • river shiver---pomplamoose
  • sad night---blue rodeo
  • second son---jim cuddy
  • whistler---jim cuddy
  • disappointment---jim cuddy
  • too many hands---jim cuddy

Tomorrow, I need to overhaul my ipod. I want to create a great playlist for the Brainfreeze.

I would like to make this a little more interactive. So (at the risk of having no one reply), I'm asking you to tell me (by leaving a comment either at the end of this post or on my facebook) what is or are the song(s) that get you moving? I know you aren't all runners, but what music just makes you smile and grab your kids and dance around the kitchen?

To sweeten the deal a little, I have a $10 gift certificate for the Running Room that is eating a hole  in my pocket. I will give it to whomever suggests the song I most like running to on Sunday (that's right, no random.org, it's going to be totally unfair and based solely on my personal preference, lol!).

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry I missed this - you have already done your run. I hope it was a success....this is a little to late but I would have posted....
    Springsteen - Eric Church
    1/2 Mile Hill - David Nail
    Jealous Again - The Black Crows
    1812 Overture - Tchaikovsky
    Fingers and Toes - The Hip
    When I'm Up I Can't Get Down - Great Big Sea

    ReplyDelete