Sunday 15 January 2012

One down, Eleven to Go!

I completed the Nike+ Women's Half Marathon: a run to benefit the leukemia and lymphoma society yesterday! Registrants had the choice of doing it on the 14th or 15th of January and am I ever thankful that I did it when I did! The weather was perfect for a long winter run. The temperature was somewhere between -5 & -10 degrees Celsius, there was no wind and the sun was shinning. If I had waited until today, I would have been confined to the treadmill due to the gigantic snowfall last night.

This was my first virtual run. I really enjoyed the fact that it was up to me to decide when I wanted to start. I didn't have to get up super early and get to a specific location at a specific time, etc. etc. I got organized, had my morning coffee, snuggled with my boys while my ipod charged and then I finally hit the road around 11:00 a.m.

I'm sure that there are many people who would argue that a run of this sort has some drawbacks when compared to an organized event. True, I had to stop many times for vehicles because the roads weren't blocked off for me, I had to plan my route so that I went past home a couple times so I could stop for a swig of Gatorade, I slipped and landed on my duff once and there were no emergency personnel there to assist me (thank goodness!! and I don't think anybody saw me!), there were no strategically placed port-a-potties and no large cheering crowds or entertainment along the way. However, for this run, I was thankful to be able to just lose myself in my thoughts and go the distance without worrying about everything else. There was no pressure of keeping up with or being passed by other runners, I was able to modify my course as I went along (anyone who lives backing the Rockwood lake probably thought I was bonkers because I went around it three different times!) and I had my own support crew.



It was so nice around the 9 mile point, to come around a corner and see my husband and boys there cheering for me. The boys probably think I'm nuts, but one day they'll understand.

When I registered for this run, I told Heather I would put the treadmill right next to her bed so she could be with me while I did it. She laughed and thought that was a good idea! Instead, I was able to wear the necklace I gave her when she was my maid of honour. It's a simple gold chain with a letter 'H' charm. I will wear it as I run each of these runs this year.

I felt Heather's presence with me as I covered the distance of this half marathon. I started the run listening to a playlist I titled 'nice'. It's some folky, pleasant, slow music. The type you hear on commercials. I took the time to reflect on my relationship with Heather and some of the times we had shared. But, around the halfway point of my run at mile 6, I decided it was time to take things up a notch and switched to my playlist called 'kick some ass'. I know she would have approved!

As I circled the lake, the sun was shinning so warmly. I thought of Heather's vibrant, beautiful smile.

It seems for me, things start to hurt and fall apart shortly after the 10 or 11 mile point. For a couple reasons (I've been limited to the treadmill and have just started getting back outside for a couple runs, my cross training class has been on hiatus since the middle of December and the roads were icy) around that point my one hip and knee really started to bother me. However, the main source of Heather's pain in the last few months was her right hip; so, rather than impede my ability to finish, my sore hip actually fueled the fire in me to finish!

The Nike+ is not completely accurate when it comes to distance, but it took me 2 hours and 10 minutes to get to the 13.1 mile point. I'm sure this is generous in my favour as the best time I've ever had was 2:18 last Spring. But, nonetheless, it felt GREAT to complete this run!

I am thankful to have had a friend Sarah Keith join me in this event (she completed her run today and we are having a 'virtual beer' together tonight) as well as my sister-in-law Lynn who ran half a half marathon to support me today as well.

I am nervous for next month's event. This sudden dump of snow has reminded me what a regular winter looks like....and it's not really giving me the urge to get outside and run! But, I will....even if I have to wear my parka and walk it. I will be at the Hypothermic Half February 12th in Saskatoon. I'm going to register for it right now.

1 comment:

  1. just checking in to see how the run went. great job! your hard work and dedication is very motivating...keep it up!

    ReplyDelete