Monday 16 January 2012

Running Together 150 km Apart

My friend Sarah joined me in this first run of the year. We didn't actually run together, but rather supported each other from a distance as we both completed the event. She ran her race on her treadmill in Prince Albert and I ran mine outside in Warman....a virtual race partner!

Here's what Sarah has to say about her experience:

When Janaya first started talking about her running project for 2012 I was so excited for what she was going to come up with and to find out how I could support her on her journey.  At the beginning she didn’t have a full plan, but the initial goal was to start the year by running the Nike Women’s virtual 1/2 marathon.  I thought this would be a great way to start the year off right, and a winter virtual run was PERFECT for me as I am not an outside winter runner in cold and ice so I haven’t done any winter races.

I am very comfortable running on my treadmill as it is MY TRAINING GROUND!  With an almost 3 year old and almost 1 year old I get my runs in on my treadmill while one or both are napping!  At times I would feel guilty for putting my kids down for a nap and getting on the treadmill but it was my “me” time after which I feel much refreshed and ready to tackle the rest of the day with the boys with all the energy it takes to keep up with them.  Other times the boys would hang out, one playing and one in a bouncy chair or jumperoo watching me run, and again I would feel guilty, yet at the same time I believe that it was good for the boys on several fronts 1) it is a good fitness “model” for the boys,  may times when I was done my run Brady would get on the treadmill for “his turn” and there were times he would last 10-12 minutes while watching a cartoon! 2) It taught them both great independence skills to entertain themselves while watching me run as they knew very quickly I wasn’t getting off.  At times it was trying for me as Brady would request to watch cartoons and running for 1/2 an hour to Mickey Mouse Club House can be a daunting task.

When it was time for the run it had to be organized. Kevin was working that day so I arranged for a sitter to come over.  I decided to run on the Sunday as I could watch a football game (my best long run training is done on Sundays during NFL season!!!!), however, it was playoffs and I had arranged for a sitter at 11am and there was no morning game on that day.  I got many strange comments from people when they found out I was getting a sitter so that I could go for a run.....but some things just have to be done.  


My last 1/2 marathon was run in December in Las Vegas when Rylan was just 9.5 months old, and I finished in a watch time of 1:55:07, I was worried about how the treadmill time would hold up as I usually have a much slower pace on the treadmill.  As there was no football on, I ran while flipping through channels for entertainment and was very happy to finish in a watch time of 1:52:39!  It was the highlight of my day as later that day my Green Bay Packers lost out in the playoffs!  





In the end I was glad that I was still improving. I am still not at my pre-kid pace, but I am getting close!!!!!  I was excited to have Janaya also complete the race and share a “virtual” celebration with her afterwords!  


Thanks for the post Sarah!

No comments:

Post a Comment