Tuesday 15 May 2012

Birthdays


Spring is always an exciting time in our household. We finally get to tuck away the winter equipment and get out the summer stuff, we shed a layer or two of clothing and head outside for the majority of the day, school is starting to wind down for the year, we start our outdoor activities (which is busier than ever with each of us participating in at least one sport this year) and we always have LOTS of birthdays to celebrate!

My hubby's birthday is today, my niece's is tomorrow, we have a couple birthdays in our extended family and the boys have been excited to go to a handful of birthday parties for their buddies in the last two months. My friend Heather's 32nd birthday would have been last Tuesday, May 8th.

To say that Heather LOVED her birthday would be a bit of an understatement! Having a whole day dedicated to celebrating and focusing on her, was Heather's ideal. She really was a princess.




Heather celebrating her birthday as a little girl....



Heather celebrating her 30th....Not much changed, lol!



I was lucky on my birthday this year. Because we went down to Regina for a New Years' Eve event, I got to stop in and visit with Heather two days in a row. While she was excited to hear about what I was going to wear and what our plans were for the evening, Heather's tumour was causing her to be a bit confused on the 31st. So, when we stopped in the next day I was surprised when she didn't skip a beat and wished me a happy birthday! 

I sighed and said I felt old....and I immediately felt like a putz. What a ridiculous thing to say to someone who was being robbed of the luxury of growing old! But, Heather just smiled and said, "I think any birthday is a good birthday." 

This is one of those moments that shifted my perspective permanently.

We had a really good visit that day. Heather passed away one week later on January 8th.

I was so happy when Kristen suggested a steak night fundraiser for my "Twelve in 2012" event with the Canadian Cancer Society that would coincide with Heather's birthday. She did a fantastic job planning and organizing the evening! She sold out the event and we were able to gather 100 of Heather's friends and family last Sunday, May 6th at Haywood's Grill. I think she would have been thrilled to have us all together because of her! 

Kristen had collected and received a preponderance of great raffle prizes, some roughrider tickets to auction off and a lotto board. Together with the proceeds from the tickets sold to the supper, we raised $2205!!!! Thank you so much to everyone who came out and supported the evening SO generously. This contribution nearly doubled the donations to date to the Canadian Cancer Society!! 

It was really nice to have my husband and boys there as well as my mom & dad who are back from their winter away. It was also a great chance to see some of Heather's friends and family that I hadn't seen since her funeral in January.

Mostly though, I hope that in a little way, having everyone come together helped Heather's parents Hugh & Barb during a week when they were surely missing a birthday party.



A much smaller group of us met together with Barb at Moxie's on May 8th. I had a mini white chocolate brownie.....I haven't had one in years, but Heather and I had shared many of them. It used to be our fail-safe during exams (or any other time really!). It was bitter-sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment