Friday 29 June 2012

An Unexpected Adventure in Running

My friend Alicia didn't intend to push her limits when she started running this winter. As things progressed though, that's exactly what she did. Here's what she had to say about her adventure:

For me, running is something that honestly just sort of happened!
I was working on losing my post-baby weight and needed something I could do to keep it off. I started to run in January and did it 3 times by myself. I knew I wouldn't keep it up on my own so I asked Staci. We started very casually, not knowing at all where it sould lead! We couldn't run more than a km or 2 without stopping! But we liked it, so we kept going! Terra joined us in February, and we didn't really look back!

I had no plan or intent to run the distances that we have, but it has been such fun getting there! After getting to the 10km point, we all kept wondering, could we do more? And there it began. The longer distances, with the idea that maybe we would do a half, but nothing set in stone! The 9-11 mile mark started to be tough and more painful for all of us....but we were so close at that point we kept going and signed up for the half at Mogathon!! Running those distances is difficult. Its painful. But its also glorious to see how far you can push yourself and to finish!! Without my partners I never could have done it, but we kept each other on track, held each other accountable, pushed each other and ourselves. There was alot of sweat, and laughter, and RAIN on our long training runs!

Finishing a half marthon is not something I EVER in my life imagined I would do....but to have done it is amazing and I"m proud of us for doing it. I don't have a bucket list, but to know that I have done a half marathon is pretty awesome. As for another one, I guess never say never, but not any time soon. I found it difficult to find the time and commitment to do it and schedule the runs, not to mention the recovery. The long runs were HARD on my body....and my knee is still giving me grief with longer distances... Back to work full time and summer have made my runs fewer and far between but for the most part we are getting a few runs and a longer distance in each week.
Though it happened a bit by chance, I was bit by the running bug....I love it, and I love the way it can unwind me and de-stress me. I love that, though I haven't lost any more weight from running, I am able to eat/drink what I want, BECAUSE I run. I love how you can push yourself as little or as much as you want. I love that sense of accomplishment after a long run....even if it kicked my butt the whole time I was doing it!!


Thanks Alicia!

No comments:

Post a Comment