Monday 26 November 2012

The Really Big Free Marathon

The Scenario

As I said before, our trip to Las Vegas didn't exactly have the smoothest of beginnings, but it turned out beautifully! The weather cooperated and we were able to leave Saskatoon on an evening flight. So, while the eight of us were relaxing on the plane, reading running magazines (trying to absorb as much info as we could in the hopes that it would help us the next morning!), Angela was in Vegas getting everything organized for us.


Thankfully, Ang and her husband Clint had gone to Vegas early so that Clint could take in SEMA (a fancy car show). If she hadn't been there, we would have been much more frazzled and unprepared for the race. Ang went early and picked up one of our rentals and tackled the freeway on her own to get out to Lake Mead to get our race packages. She got us gatorades & bananas, adjusted our supper reservation and hung out in the van waiting for us at the airport. It was no doubt a total pain, but Ang did it without hesitation and we were all extremely grateful.

Ang, behind the wheel....cool as a cucumber, ha, ha.

Although it wasn't flawless, we made it to Vegas! After taking a quick zip down the Strip, we checked in to the hotel and enjoyed a very late pasta supper. After a seemingly short sleep, we were up early and met down at the lobby for 5:30. We were a bundle of nerves and excitement as we loaded into the vans to make the drive out to the race site!


It was still dark when we arrived at the park gates, but even so, we could tell that the terrain was a little hilly. We knew we were headed in the right direction as we started to encounter other vehicles...who else would be silly enough to be up so early out in the desert....runners!

So, just before dawn we made our last minute wardrobe changes (thank goodness Ang convinced me to leave my jacket behind!), we waited our turn at the biffy, we left Clint in the van to have a nap and we made our way down to the start line where the full marathon runners were just getting on their way (They had been delayed. They were supposed to have started at 6:00, but it was so dark they couldn't see who was standing next to them!). I had a chance to give each girl a hug and wish them good luck before we lined up in the waves that corresponded with our estimated finishing times. This was it, the moment we had all been training so hard for! 

The Event

This was the inaugural event for the Really Big Free Marathon Las Vegas. The Really Big Free series is organized by io events, inc. It is a race series that is the first of it's kind. The idea is that the runners get to participate for free. We still registered online like with any other race and we paid a $50 deposit to ensure that we would actually show up for the run. The race officials promise that as long as you cross the start line, you will receive your deposit back, in the mail, approximately six weeks later (as I'm writing this post it is December 23rd and we have yet to receive our cheques in the mail....so, we'll see).

Of course, I'm not privy to the behind the scenes info as to what exactly occurred during the planning of this event. What I do know is that the organizing committee had a much more difficult time finding sponsors to cover the costs of the event than they had anticipated and for whatever reason, they needed to change the location of the course. So while participants were promised tech shirts, a medal and a flat residential course, we ended up with cotton shirts, a medal and a hilly route. BUT, I am happy with that! I think the race officials did a fantastic job pulling this event together and I think beggars can't be choosers....even if we don't actually receive a reimbursement for the registration fee, I've paid higher fees to run in lesser races with less swag. It's a neat race concept and hopefully they're able to get sponsors on board to make it happen again!


The Really Big Free Marathon website says that the event was sold out (they had capped it at 2000 registrants), but the results only show 263 runners completing the full marathon and 1114 in the half marathon. I'm guessing that this discrepancy was maybe a combo of people not willing to make the drive out to Lake Mead for the race and the heat & the hills causing a few more to stop partway through. Whatever the cause, I enjoyed running with the varied group of people who did complete the race! 

In Saskatchewan, we get the odd person who runs in a costume, or juggles while he runs, but the number of quirky runners at this event kept me entertained! There were costumes (a maid, a princess, some tutus), a man wearing NOTHING but a pair of short shorts & a couple pieces of tape around his feet (extreme minimalism), a runner wearing a surgical mask (like the kind that keep away germs....I can't imagine running with one of those on!), there were the runners from the Hash House Harriers club (their moto is "the drinking club with a running problem") who stopped at each mile marker to shotgun a beer, a man wearing a sequin running skort and I'm sure many others that I missed. It's neat to participate in events with such a varied participant pool....and it can be pretty motivating....there's NO WAY he's going to beat me!

The race was well organized and the course was clearly marked. I could have used an extra aid station right around the turn around point, but other than that it was good. The post race snacks were good except the whole oranges were a bugger to get into, lol! I think, especially given the obstacles the officials were faced with, this event turned out great!

The Excuses

This was the hardest course I've ever ran! Lake Mead provided us with a beautiful and scenic landscape but the hills (they felt more like mountains at some points) were challenging.


Immediately after crossing the starting line, we made our way up a hill. The race officials had warned about it in their pre-race loud speaker announcements...."don't go out the shoot too fast, the first half mile is up hill"....but what they didn't advise, was that the remaining 12.5 miles wouldn't be much more level!


Just as I started on my way, the sun was coming up; and, it didn't take too long for the temperature to rise. Trying to be thankful for the beautiful, sunny day, I reminded myself of the cold, snow & freezing rain I had been in the day before. But, it was HOT. 

Despite the hills and heat, my body felt good as I completed this run. It was hard and I had to push myself, but I didn't have any pain in my hip or knee. The first half of the course was primarily uphill. I took solace in the fact that the return trip would therefore be mostly downhill. 

As I neared the halfway point, there was a series of large hills. It was during this segment of the race that people really started to struggle. At times, the number of runners off to the side of the course catching their breath was staggering. However, this was also when I started to meet up with the first couple girls who had began on their way back. I was smack in the middle of our group with Sarah, Jadah, Katy and Shelley ahead of me and then once I started on my way back, I met Krista, Ang, Nicki and MJ. The little boost I got seeing and high-fiving each of them as we crossed paths, helped me through those tough hills.


I really struggled during the last quarter of the run. The sun was high in the sky and despite my Cliff gummies, my energy was running out. I tried to divert my attention by enjoying my surroundings (there was a coyote on the trail at one point wondering what the heck we were all doing out in his neck of the woods!) and cranking my music (I found my power songs and put them on repeat!). I dug deep and gave it my all. When I finally got to the last half a mile, I was SO excited to be heading back down that initial hill! I was blasting past people! And then I saw Sarah & Jadah! Having Sarah run a little part of the course with me was great and gave me the extra boost I needed to really finish strong. Thanks Sarah! 



My Favourite Part

Being able to experience this run with my friends and having the opportunity to take this trip together was awesome! Most of us registered for the event last winter so we had lots of time to prep for it. Training together (not always physically together, but simultaneously) was inspiring. Each of us found a plan that suited our individual needs and we tried our best to follow them. I think during the months leading up to the trip, we took turns drawing strength from the others to get us through the unavoidable rough stretches. It was nice to have each other to lean on.

Together we built new bonds and strengthened existing ones all while pushing ourselves physically & mentally. Although a few of us have a bit of a competitive spirit, I LOVE that we supported each other; and, rather than competing against one another, we focused on achieving our own goals.

This, for me, is what running is all about.









"Exerting yourself to the fullest within your individual limits: 
that's the essence of running, and a metaphor for life..." 
                                                                  
                                                                      Haruki Murakami


Everything that led up to the race was worth it when we crossed the finish line! My favourite part was having the chance to watch each of the girls succeed in running the half marathon! We had lots of tears and lots of hugs and lots of endorphin induced happiness!!


This is me in my post race happy place! 

Once we were all done at the race, we took a quick detour to check out the Hoover Dam. Then, we headed back to the hotel for a soak in the hot tub....it didn't take too long for the endorphins to wear off and the aches & pains to kick in!



We spent the rest of our trip having fun! We shopped, walked the Strip, ate delicious food, went to a brand new Cirque du Soleil show, shopped some more, relaxed by the pool and on the last night there we rented a stretch limo to see the sights in style! 






Thanks for a great trip girls (and Clint!)! It was a blast!

I am happy to have completed my eleventh half marathon of the year! This run puts my total distance to date for 2012 over the 725 mile point. 

No comments:

Post a Comment