Friday 2 November 2012

We've Just Gotta Roll With it

It's FINALLY here! Tomorrow we run in Las Vegas!

There have been quite a few things about this race that have caused us a bit of worry. It is an inaugural event and the first of it's kind (thanks to sponsors, the race is supposed to be free to run). As such, they've had some hiccups throughout their planning. Most recently, the course of the Really Big Free Las Vegas Marathon was moved from a residential location in Henderson, out to Lake Mead Recreation Park. Among other things (including a shift from an entirely flat course to a hilly desert route) this change has meant that we need to rent vehicles and get up at the crack of dawn (actually well before dawn) to be at the site for the 7 a.m. start time. But, we have rolled with the punches, adapted and stayed optimistic as the race directors have announced their adjustments.....I'm sure a hilly desert route will be much more scenic! So we were all set to start on our way this morning.

We all know that Saskatchewan weather is extreme. Last night the freezing rain started, so I wasn't entirely shocked when I got up this morning at 3:45 and our flight to Vegas was cancelled. There were six of us booked in on the early flight. Without leaving the comfort of our homes, we were able to re-book onto a later flight (thank you to Expedia for having ACTUAL people to answer their calls!). Thank goodness for technology! I can't imagine how we would have managed the switch around without cell phones and the internet. Now, eight of us will all travel down together, but we won't get there until 6:30. As a result, Angela (who is already in Vegas) has offered to take care of picking up our race packages from out at Lake Mead and getting everything organized for tomorrow's run. Thanks Ang!

Anyway, whatever else comes our way over the next five days, I'm sure it will be an adventure! And I'm happy to be sharing it with such a great group of friends.

I tried my hardest this week to get the post done about the Burpees for Boobies fundraiser I hosted last Sunday....but there just haven't been enough hours in the day to get everything done on my 'to-do' list! I promise to get it up as soon as I can once I'm back. But, it was very successful and I'm thankful for the the hard work of the twenty five adult participants (and all the kiddos) and the fantastic support from the many local businesses that sponsored the event. Thank you!

That's all the time I have for now. Thanks for understanding.

Fingers crossed, we'll be on our way shortly and we'll rock our half marathon tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment