Friday 26 October 2012

Kevin - A Dad on the Run

We are a lucky group of girls. We all have very supportive husbands (obviously, they are taking care of the kids and manning the fort while we escape to Vegas to run in November!). Not only have they all been to the finish lines and along the race routes and brought the kiddos to cheer for their moms, but they've helped make it possible for us to put the time in to train for the runs. They are happy that we are happy.

When the teams were being organized to complete the relay, we were one runner short. Sarah didn't hesitate before she volunteered her husband to fill the spot! She knew he'd be game. So, we were the Moms & Dad on the Run!

Here's what he had to say about completing the relay:


I really didn't train for this run, at best I put on 20 miles in total in preparation for my leg of the 50 km trek. It showed. Not only did my wife close a 12 minute head start I had on her, she breezed past me with a mile to go and crushed my overall time. 

I don't mind really, she has outrun me from the day I met her. 

I run for fitness, to relieve stress, to have some time to myself. For me, the event itself is the draw. The mulling around with anticipation prior to the start, the cheers from onlookers and the end of race congratulations are what I love. The feeling that you have just been part of something bigger than yourself. 

As I look around at those who ran, stretching and limping about, I feel like I am part of a community in which members push their limits, push themselves and others to achieve more and to be an inspiration to those who wish they could run a race. 

Well, anyone can take part in a race. Walk, run or roll…..I have seen racers in wheel chairs, on prosthetic legs, walking and on bikes, if you have the will you can do it. 

This last race, the Saskatchewan 50km relay, had some fierce competitors as well as some inspirational ones. One person comes to mind, he was probably in his 40's and not in the best shape (not yet anyway) but boy was he giving it his all. I remember him well as he wore a blaze orange toque. He stood out not for his head gear, but his obvious determination to push himself and finish his race. Which he did.  It takes a great deal of courage to line up with a bunch of obviously super fit runners and not shy away. My hat goes off to this guy….to me, he is more of an inspiration than the guy who can run like the wind.


Thanks Kevin!

No comments:

Post a Comment