Wednesday 17 October 2012

My Recipe for Half Marathon Success

Ready to tackle your first half marathon?

Here's my recipe for successfully making it through 13.1 miles. But, be forewarned, what works for me won't necessarily be what works best for you. Also, like many things in life, this is something that is constantly evolving for me. In just the last few months, for instance, I have changed quite a few things about the way I prep for and approach my half marathons. The most important thing is that you give yourself enough time to figure out what works best for you.

Actually, scratch that, THE MOST IMPORTANT thing is that you HAVE FAITH IN YOURSELF. As long as you give yourself enough time to train and gradually increase the distance of your long run & you put in the effort, you can do it! If I can run a half marathon, anyone can!

It is also extremely important to note that I am in no way an expert runner. The following is just what I have discovered during my research and trial & error.

The training

There are tons of free online training plans, there are many books that promote this way of training or that way and lots of magazines run an annual half marathon edition that outline different methods. The various plans will differ in ways such as the duration of the training (the number of weeks from start to finish), the number of days you will run per week, the distances you will be required to cover, the rate that they increase the "weekly long run" distance & whether they incorporate speed work, hills or cross training. When I started out, I found it overwhelming and difficult to sift through all the options. What I have found is that no matter which plan you choose to follow, it needs to suit your schedule. If for instance, you are expected to run six days a week but you can only commit to four, that plan will probably NOT work for you.

Give yourself enough time. Running a half marathon is not something most people can "cram" for. Pick a training plan that starts at your current running level. If you are just getting into running, you may need to start with a "beginner" plan. When I started out, I first completed a six week 5 km plan, then I progressed to the 8 week 10 km plan and from there I jumped into a half marathon plan. Once you've found a plan (or series of plans) that will work, you can pick an event (or events) that you'd like to aim for. Then, use the calendar to come up with your plan of attack

Give yourself some wiggle room. It's important to pick a plan and follow it as closely as you can, but you have to be flexible too. You need to account for unexpected things like sickness. It's crucial that you listen to your body and take an extra rest day if you need it. If you are pinched for time, consider doing a shorter interval or goal paced run (these faster runs also have the added benefit of boosting your metabolism more than a steady run). Inevitably, you will miss a run here or there which I think is okay as long as you reliably complete the long run.

Give yourself a chance to avoid injury. The distance of the weekly long run should increase gradually. Upping mileage too quickly is a surefire way to hurt yourself. Cross training to strengthen your core and hips, stretching and resting (allowing your body to recover after the long runs) are also integral components of injury prevention. My physiotherapist says that it is a lack of strength that has led to my injury. Take it from me, prevention is much easier than being sidelined. One of my most recent  discoveries is the healing power of a deep tissue massage. Without a doubt, my registered massage therapist deserves most of the credit for my ability to complete the QCM and continue with my half marathon running goal. Her knowledge and skill are amazing.

Give yourself the gear distance running requires. Running seems like a "basic" sport, but it's shocking how much stuff I need to do it! MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A GOOD PAIR OF SHOES!! I think this is the most important piece of gear any runner requires. I also have my favourite running bra, my headband (to gather my copious amounts of sweat!), my flat-seamed anti-stink shorts, my anti chafe stick, my Nike Plus running band, my iPod and water-proof earbuds (again, I sweat ALOT!), my jacket, kleenex, two sticks of gum and my foam roller. Like I said, it's a lot of stuff!

Give yourself the chance to enjoy your training. There will inevitably be times when you will struggle. Remember why you set out on this journey. When possible find someone to run with for at least a portion of your longer runs. If you are confined to the treadmill, rent a movie to watch while you log the miles. Make a new playlist. Get a snazzy new running top. Try to have fun!

The nutrition

It took me a long time to realize the important role that nutrition plays in my running ability. I started running as a way to lose weight and did so effectively (albeit very gradually) for a few years. I eventually found myself at a point where I had to pay closer attention to what I was eating to lose weight.

More recently, I have found that what I eat really has an impact on how much energy I have and how well I can run. Don't underestimate the power of your food choices. To run strong, it is important to consume quality food including lean proteins and whole grains. Losing weight and long distance running don't always go hand in hand. I found at one point that I was actually not eating enough to fuel my level of activity. BUT, it's also important that you don't overestimate how much you've earned. It can be quite a balancing act. I have found if I listen to my body, it usually knows what it wants.

I drink A LOT of water. You don't need anything other than water unless you're running for more than an hour. After that point, you'll need salt and sugar (carbs). Again, this is something I've only recently started to play with. I've always drank G2 when I run, but I was finding that my energy was running low at about the 10 mile point. The G2, while low in calories, is also as a result low in sugar. So, it gives me the salt and electrolytes I need, but not the sugar. I have tried in the past to use the GU gels, but I just can't handle the texture of them. Back in April, I went in and had a look at the other energy options. I found the Cliff Shot Bloks. I LOVE them!! It's like eating gummy bears! I was amazed what a difference it made when I started to incorporate them in my long runs. Three cubes are equivalent to one GU gel, so I use them accordingly.

The Taper

This year, I have found that as long as I'm able to get out for one long run of about 10 miles between the events, I've been able to maintain my ability to complete the half marathon distance. Typically, the longest run should be two weeks prior to the event and then the taper begins. The weekend before I go for a 6 -8 mile run and then rest Monday, soccer Tuesday, rest Wednesday & Thursday, a 3.5 mile run outside (to make sure my gear is appropriate for the weather) and rest the day before. I haven't always been home and able to control my pre-race meal, but my ideal supper the night before a half is: Chicken breast, gooey white pasta and broccoli. Play around with things during your training and figure what works best for you. Then I lay out my stuff and make sure everything is organized and batteries charged, etc. and I try to hit the hay early.

The day of the Race

DON'T DO ANYTHING NEW OR DIFFERENT THAN YOU'VE BEEN DOING DURING YOUR TRAINING!

My race morning "system" is also something that I've been able to recently tweak. I used to just get up eat my breakfast and head out the door....and then invariably I'd end up needing an emergency pitt stop about halfway through the run. I've found that I can avoid stopping (and adding minutes to my finishing time) by getting up earlier and giving my breakfast a chance to digest before I start. I wake up at 5:30 eat oatmeal, a banana and a cup of coffee. Then I sometimes lay back down for a bit. I get dressed, hook my bib on, drink my pre-race energizer (I've been using one made by Vega) and get to the event site early.

The one thing you can count on at all running events are the LONG line ups at the porta potties! Get in line early!

Make time for a stretch. Find the start line and squeeze in where you think you belong (if there are pace bunnies, find the one with your estimated finishing time). Take a big deep breath....this is what you've been waiting for! I ALWAYS get butterflies (I hope there never comes a day when I don't!) but they pass as soon as I get going and find my rhythm.

I take water and/or gatorade at every aid station and then I start with my Shot Bloks at kilometer 6. I take three at 6 km, three more at 12 km and again at 15 km & 18 km as required. I find my pace, try to enjoy the scenery, get in to my music, say thank you to as many volunteers as I can along the route and cheer for the "real runners" as they loop back looking strong. I occupy my thoughts by converting between miles & kilometres and figuring how far it is to the next drink point; and then, between miles 10-13 when I have to dig deeper, I think about my boys, my hubby, Heather and anything else that I can draw upon for strength. It's this part of the half marathon that makes me like it so much...it's HARD.

The Recovery

It's never long after completing a half marathon that I find myself planning for the next one. It's funny how as soon as the run is done and I quit running, everything feels better immediately. The endorphins kick in and I forget the pain....kinda, sorta, like childbirth....kinda.

I take time to enjoy the sense of accomplishment that comes from crossing the finish line. I stretch and roll everything out with my foam roller. I've found that if I can get to a wall to scooch my butt up to and elevate my legs (up the wall), it seems to help prevent the pooling of lactic acid. I ice anything that's sore, take ibuprofen and book a massage. I take at least a couple days off and start back only after I'm feeling better.....then the process starts all over again! And there's always something that could have gone better, or that I could have done differently, the excuses....the next time.


Happy running!

1 comment:

  1. Janaya, thank you for this post! You've just given me an idea of what to expect for my first half because I am clueless to what I've gotten myself into, haha. But I am looking forward to the feeling of finishing this run. And doing a half-marathon would never have been considered if not for your idea of me joining you in Vegas (even though I'm sure it was all about the shopping that made me decide to go) Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete