Friday 26 October 2012

Michyla

One of the things that I like most about running is the sense of community that it fosters. Perfect strangers who are both runners (no matter their ability level) can sit down and engage in lengthy conversation. The camaraderie that comes from running is funny. I am thankful that I had the chance to meet Michyla this year. We are both runners, but beyond that we have much in common. Here's what she had to say about running the Sask 50 km Ultra Relay:

I started running two and a half years ago, when my twin boys were nine months old and my daughter was two. Right from day one, running was a mental health exercise for me. I needed a break, even just a short one, and I started to crave my daily run just to have some time to myself. I ran my first 5K race three months later and was thrilled to finish in 25:54.

The next spring I ran my first 10K race in 56:38, and started to think about a half marathon. It was always one of those "some day" ideas, until I came across a training plan in an issue of Runner's World for running your first half. In looking over this plan I discovered that training for your first half, with the goal of simply finishing instead of a time goal, really wasn't that much more demanding than the 10K plans I was following.

Anyone who knows me knows how competitive I am (even if it's just against myself!), and the goal of simply finishing a half marathon didn't stick around for long. In May 2012 I ran my first half in the Saskatchewan Marathon and achieved my secret goal of finishing under two hours! After that I planned to go back to 10K's for the rest of the summer... but maintaining my fitness level didn't seem too daunting, so I ran another half marathon a month later in Vancouver with some friends.

I've followed Janaya's blog since she was featured in a Saskatoon Road Runners newsletter early this spring. I met her in person at the pasta dinner the night before the Saskatchewan Marathon and got to chat with her a bit. When a friend of mine expressed an interest in running a half marthon in October I contacted Janaya to see which one she had on her schedule for that month. She had found the same thing we had - there aren't really any half marathons around here in October! We decided to form a three-person team for the Sask 50 Ultra instead.

The Ultra was interesting for me. It was my first relay event, and that served up a whole new plate of challenges. I was running the second leg, and it was fun to be able to go out and cheer for other runners during the first leg. I found it stressful not knowing exactly what time I would start running. I usually have a pretty calculated pre-race routine, carefully timing my last bathroom break, eating my Gu Chomps and taking a couple shots off my asthma inhaler. For this race, I had to estimate what time I would be starting and hope for the best. It was a chilly day, so I had an extra jacket on while I waited for our first runner, Erica, to run. I was starting to think about taking it off and getting ready to go when Erica came blazing up to the exchange point! I tossed my jacket to a thankfully understanding volunteer at the bag check tent and got there just steps ahead of her.

The other thing I found different about a relay event is that you have no idea where you're running in relation to everyone else. It becomes a true race against yourself. Someone who finishes after you can actually place ahead of you simply because your first runner was faster so you had a head start. The field was starting to spread out during my leg as well, and it was odd to be standing at the start line (exchange point) alone.

I dubbed Leg 2 "the ugly leg." The first and third legs spent most of their time along the scenic Saskatoon river bank, but leg 2 travelled along a gravel path beside the freeway, then along a very uneven ditch, then through an off-leash dog park. We got a bit of river bank time too, but not a lot! Janaya mentioned the difficulties some of her friends had on this leg, but at least we all had some stories to tell afterwards!

After my leg I changed into dry clothes, had some pancakes and then headed out to cheer for Janaya and her other third leg friends. I always appreciate people out supporting runners when I'm running, so I tried to clap and cheer for every runner I saw. (I also make a point of trying to thank volunteers who are assisting on the course while I'm running.)

I'm like Janaya, I love race medals! We were a bit disappointed that the relay runners didn't get medals, especially since the entry fee was the same for all runners, whether running the relay or the individual event. That means that one relay team paid three times as much as an individual runner to cover the same route. I guess that also means we ate three time the pancakes, but I think we could've gotten medals too!

All in all, it was a good event, and one I will look forward to running again (though I will try to run a different leg next time if the course is the same!). It was fun to get out and cheer for other runners and meet some other runners. I also enjoyed getting to know Janaya a bit better, I admire her 12 in '12 project so much.
I write a running blog as well, at www.runmommyrun3.wordpress.com if you'd like to check out some of my other running adventures this year!


Thanks Michyla!

1 comment:


  1. Sun damage may strike at any season, whether it’s summer or winter, so it’s wisest to always wear sunglasses whenever we go out. It makes for an awesome fashion statement too!

    sunglasses
    marketing sunglasses
    Crystal Custom
    Promotional Sunglasses
    Story Miami
    Logolenses

    ReplyDelete