Monday 24 September 2012

A Steaknight to Remember

I grew up in Regina. My family still lives there and most of my extended family on my mom's side lives just outside the city in various communities. Growing up, my cousins and I were very close. I don't get to see them near as often as I'd like. Unfortunately, when we are home, our visits end up jam packed just by fitting in time with our immediate family.

I met my husband in highschool in Regina when his family had moved to the city at the beginning of grade 10. Just recently, my sister-in-law Lynn and her husband Evan have moved back. Evan is a Regina native too and most of his family are still based in the city.

So, we knew that we would probably have enough 'local' support (people living in Regina who would be happy to support our running and efforts to raise funds for a great cause) to organize a steak night. I called around to different places to see what was available. Surprisingly, there are not many places that do steak nights that allow minors.....I wouldn't be a "mom on the run" without my kiddos, so we kept looking.

Eventually, everything fell into place and we booked The Pump for the Sunday evening after the QCM run. I know....The Pump. It seems like a funny place to take your kids for a charity fundraiser, right!? But the kids had a blast! It's kinda funny too. My parents celebrated their 35th wedding anniversary this summer....and they met at The Pump!

Anyway, I was really happy with the organization of their team. They printed us some beautiful tickets and were really easy to get along with! Between me, my mom, Gavin, Lynn & Evan, my extended family, Sarah and Andrea, we were able to sell 140 adult tickets and 22 kids tickets!!



That evening was SO fantastic! It was so nice to get all of those people together in one place! Cancer is a disease that has meaning for many of us who were there that night. It felt good to get together and try to make a difference. Thanks to their generosity, we were able to raise $2475 in ticket sales and raffle & silent auction donations!!!!!!

We had some great prize donations:

  • A set of gel nails- Nailed It!!
  • Three annual family passes- The RCMP Heritage Museum
  • Mary Kay basket - Auntie Dot
  • Motorola Blue Tooth- Blair's
  • Frito Lay Jacket- Gavin McGown
  • Chakari Spa $50 certificate- Kim Skrypnyk
  • A shawl and a frame- Joanne McGown
  • Scentsy burner, wax blocks and travel tin- Tricia Anderson
  • Scentsy shower gel, dryer sheets & handcream- Laura Volman
  • "Running" by John Stanton & Running backpack- The Regina Running Room
  • Skincerity- Leah Barnard
  • An HTC Desire C android cellphone- Jump.ca
  • 3 running shirts- The Track & Trail
  • Two buckets of kids' toys- Lynn Anderson
  • A Roughrider Canvas Chair- Traveland Leisure
  • Homemade jams- Heather Entner


I was touched when my Auntie Dorothy (my mom's sister) made a beautiful quilt for us to auction off during the evening. My Auntie Dot has always been a constant support in my life. I really value any time we get to spend together. Most of which, we have spent doing various sewing projects. From all the special things she made for me when I was young, to the sewing we did together with mom: my grade twelve grad dress, the quilts we made for my babies, the quilt we made when Gavin & Brandi were married, these are times I treasure. I was so pleased when Gavin won the auction! Alivia & Violet will love that special quilt!



On top of the proceeds from the steak night, the relay teams were able to gather an additional $1180 in pledges. So the week after the run, I was able to go to the Canadian Cancer Society and turn in $3655!!!! That felt GREAT!! Thank you for all of your support and generosity.

This donation takes the total raised to date for my 12 in 2012 event with the Fundraise for Life program to $8358!!! This is so unbelievable! Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment