Monday 24 September 2012

The Saskatchewan Credit Unions Queen City Marathon

The Scenario

Sunday September 9th was the Queen City Marathon in Regina. As I mentioned prior to the event, many of my family members and friends registered for the QCM.

My husband, his sister Lynn, her husband Evan & I had all registered together, back in April, to run the half marathon. We each approached our training a little differently.

I had been consistent in my running until the month leading up to the QCM. Being forced to 'rest' and barely run at all (never mind doing anything of any decent distance), I wasn't sure how things would end up. I had no choice but to put my faith in the fact that I had listened to the advice that I had been given....I was hopeful that I would finish.

Lynn had participated in a couple 10km events, but had rarely gone beyond that distance. She is a busy teacher and mom to two boys (my beautiful nephews!!), so she planned to wait until her summer break to focus on training for the event. Surprise! They found out that their summer would be a little busier than expected. They ended up moving from Yorkton to Regina and lived out of suitcases for the better part of a month! But, once they were settled, Lynn was able to get in a couple longer runs and was feeling decent about completing the half.

My husband doesn't love running the way I do. He does it, but he goes as fast as he can so that he can be done! Once he got going with his training though, he started to enjoy the challenge. He pushed himself to go faster on his short runs and increased the distance of his long runs. This would be his second half marathon.

Evan took the cramming approach to his training! He got out for a few runs in the couple weeks before the event, but was not feeling confident that he could complete the half. He was a trooper though, he laced up his sneakers, donned the red shirt and lined up with us at the start line!

My friend Sarah was registered to run the full marathon. Her FIRST FULL! I really enjoyed sharing the ups and downs of her training with her and was SO excited for her to run the event!

My cousin Curtis and his awesome wife Nicole organized two teams to complete the relay event. Curtis's mom was my auntie Jean. She was my mom's sister and we lost her to breast cancer when she was only forty years old. We also lost a family friend, Ralph Thauberger the same year to cancer. The ten people that made up the teams, did so, to honour Jean & Ralph and to support me in my efforts to raise funds for the Canadian Cancer Society.

So, together with the approximately 4000 other runners, we lined up at the row of biffies in the parking lot at the MacKenzie Art gallery!  Ha, ha! Seriously, the line was SO long we nearly missed the start of the race! The weather was crisp and the sky was clear. It was the perfect day for a run!

The Event

The Credit Union Queen City Marathon is relatively new on the running scene. It's inaugural year was 2001. A group of local Regina runners decided that the Queen city should no longer be the only Canadian Provincial Capital without a marathon; and thus, the QCM was born!


My mom and I went to the race expo to pick up our race packages on the Saturday. I was pleased with the expo and surprised to see that they had quite a few interesting booths. They had some neat products being showcased. The race packs had mostly coupons and other advertisers. The race shirt is nice and fit well. I will definitely get some use out of it.

Despite it's large size, the QCM is really well organized. This year there were 475 people who ran the full marathon, 1 person completed the wheelchair full marathon, 169 teams (of 3-5 people each) completed the full marathon relay, 1601 registrants in the half marathon run, 214 half marathon walkers and 393 kids who participated in the mini marathon!

I ran the QCM in 2008 and I was glad that the course had remained the same. It is a nice route that loops around Wascana Lake and through the park. It goes across the Ring Road and through a residential area and then back in front of the Parliament Buildings to the finish line. It is scenic and FLAT! There were great spectators along the course. One cute family had set up an aid station on their driveway with posters, water and music blaring! There was a group that were handing out jelly beans and Sarah told me later, there were people handing out beer along the full marathon course! The official race aid stations were good too and spaced well. Regina is a city full of spirit!

If you've been following me, you will know by now how much I LOVE a finisher's medal! And this one is fantastic! 






The Excuses

Ah, I think it's clear that things have been a bit of a struggle for me over the last few weeks; but, you know what? When we crossed the timing mat and the race got underway, it felt SO good to be running!

Lynn and I ran together at a good pace until just after the 10km marker. At that point, I was forced to acknowledge the pain in my knee and slow down. Lynn was doing great, so I told her to keep going and kick butt! Before we parted she very quickly said to me, "It's okay if you don't finish. Don't hurt yourself. But, I'm sure you'll catch me near the end when I run out of steam." I really appreciated her support.



I slowed my pace a bit but never stopped running. That seemed to be the best way to balance my sore hip (that hurt when I walked) and sore knee (that hurt when I ran). It wasn't my most beautiful race, but it wasn't my worst either. I finished in 2:23.


The Best Part

Having the chance to do this event with the support of my whole family, was an amazing experience! Although it certainly isn't be my best personal run, it will definitely be at the top of my list of best events....ever!

Myles and I were able to go down to Regina Friday evening and get together with the relay team runners. They were gathering at Custis & Nicole's for a pasta supper carbo load to go through the relay instructions.  In addition to Curtis & Nicole, the teams consisted of Nicole's brother Darren Entner, his girlfriend Kim Skrypnyk, my cousin Barden's wife Sara McCullough, my cousin Chara Blair, my mom Joanne McGown, Ralph's daughter Christie Robinson (her husband Brad also ran the full marathon!!), a friend of theirs James Porter and finally my friend Andrea Schick.

I know, all of that is probably quite confusing, BUT suffice it to say, these people are all FANTASTIC and I REALLY appreciated their support. I really enjoyed having the chance to see and meet everyone before the event. It was awesome to be able to hear how training for the relay had been for each of them. How they had fit it in to their busy schedules. How they had enjoyed it. How they were nervous for the event. How they were excited to come together and work as a team and support each other as individuals!

Sunday morning, we met the relay team members and dropped mom off with them. But, it wasn't until the first relay exchange point that we saw them again. And when they saw us, their cheers were so encouraging!

Right before the 11 mile point in the course, Nikki came running up beside me and wished me well. Just a short distance later was the second relay exchange. It was OVERWHELMING to see not only the relay runners, but my Auntie Dot, my cousin Crystal, my uncle Larry and Evelyn, my cousins' little kids...they were all there. I knew then that I could make it the last 2 miles!!

After I crossed the finish line and received my medal, I didn't have to walk too far to find my dad and my boys. I was so happy to see them! They said that their dad had finished and so had Auntie Lynn.

My husband did a great job of his run and he finished it in 2:06. There was no catching Lynn. She finished strong in 2:18! Way to go!!

Dad hoisted the boys over the barrier and together we set out to find the others. We didn't get too far before we found my brother and his family.

Growing up, Gavin was one of my best friends (mom will tell you otherwise because, being only 18 months apart in age, we sometimes fought like cats & dogs). He still is. Even though we are both busy with our young families and we don't get to see each other as often as we'd like, we are still close.

Two weeks before the run, we got to go to Regina to welcome our second niece to the family. I think it is just great that my husband and I have two boys and Gavin & Brandi have two girls. I plan on spoiling Alivia & Violet with all things girly!



Gavin is NOT a runner and has NO interest in starting, but it was awesome to have him, Brandi and the girls at the finish line to support us.

In case you can't read it, his shirt says,
"when I'm feeling athletic, I go to a sports bar"

Despite his reservations, Evan made it through his first half marathon in 2:44 (and I hear he was even out running again just a couple days later....maybe it wasn't so bad!)!!! Shortly thereafter, we were re-united with the others and our nephews and Evan's sister were there too. We made our way through the food line and settled in for a picnic while we waited for Sarah and the relay teams to make their way to the finish line.



Sarah had predicted that she would complete her run in about three hours and fifty minutes. So when we were nearing that point, we made out way back to the other side of the finish line to see her come in. I am a very emotional person, but to see Sarah come over the little ridge and finish her first full marathon made me shed a couple tears. I know how hard she worked this summer and the setbacks she faced and overcame throughout her training. She finished strong and surpassed her goal coming in at 3:42:51....she was the ninth female finisher!!!!


Sarah met up with Kevin and her boys and then came back to join us as we waited for the relay teams to finish.

The first team blasted past to the finish line. A short while later, the second team crested the ridge. My mom was completing the last leg for that team, and she looked pale as a ghost. Without giving it much thought, I ran out to join them and make sure she was okay. Myles had run out after me and I hoisted him up on my hip, so we ended up crossing the finish line with them. I remember the announcer saying, "here comes the 'Mom on the Run Supporters' relay team and Janaya Stevenson". It's funny how it worked out. Great job guys!


We gathered the two teams together and met up with Auntie Dot, my cousin Crystal and her baby Chyler, Gavin, dad, my husband and boys. What a great morning!! 




I am excited more than anything, to have finished my ninth half marathon of the year! This run put my total distance to date for 2012 over the 660 mile point. Now, I've got until October 20th to get rested up and ready for the Saskatoon Roadrunners' Ultra Marathon Relay.

No comments:

Post a Comment